Broadford: Standing at the transitional point between the green and gently rolling south of the island and its more imposing, rugged north, Broadford is the island’s second largest settlement. A simple cattle market in the18th century, its strategic position as central for access to other parts of the island was cemented by the building, in 1812, of the Kyleakin to Portree road. Sheltered by Beinn na Caillich (“Hill of The Old Woman”) and draped around Broadford Bay with views across to the Applecross Peninsula.
The town’s claim to fame is that Drambuie originated there and was first sold locally in The Broadford Inn before commercial production began in Edinburgh in 1909. Otherwise, there is the usual selection of shops, a supermarket, the island’s larger hospital, an active Community Centre, hotels, restaurants and bars. Additionally, Broadford is home to the Skye Serpentarium which has rescued over 500 reptiles, illegally imported into the UK.