As with so many names on Skye, Kyleakin (Gaelic: “Caol Acain”) derives from Norwegian King Haakon IV who sailed past in 1263 and whose defeat at The Battle of Largs ended centuries of Norwegian rule. This was the island’s terminal for the Skye Ferry from 1841 to 1995 when it was replaced by the newly-opened Skye Bridge. The village sits on a headland bounded by Loch Alsh and Loch na Beiste and enjoys spectacular views of the graceful bridge and the post-card pretty Eilean Ban lighthouse. Popular with backpackers, Kyleakin also has hostels as well as hotels in the accommodation mix. The principal tourist attraction is, of course, The Brightwater Centre.